Monday, March 31, 2014

KIDNEY UPDATE

KIDNEY UPDATE (MINE)

Just got back from my Nephrologist.  My kidneys are still stable, but we are now checking them monthly instead of every 3 months.

We discussed dialysis, most especially peritoneal dialysis, which is done at home and through a port in the stomach during sleep at night.  Here is a picture of what it looks like.


Now, IF and WHEN the time comes, I must prepare for this by having the port put in the front of my stomach.  Then every night when I go to sleep I hook it up and the job gets done.

Preparation for this type of dialysis can't be done overnight.  The port must be in place several weeks in advance.  So we will make this decision WHEN and IF my symptoms occur (I don't have any now.)

I also don't have to remain a vegetarian but am allowed to eat ORGANIC animal protein.  So that's a relief.

Just keeping you updated about my situation.  It doesn't (nor will it ever) ruin my life.  Life is better than the alternative, don't you think?

1 comment:

Kenneth M. Walsh said...

Sending you my love. xo