Tuesday, November 27, 2012

NUTRITIONIST FOR FRED AND WILMA

FRED AND WILMA NEED HELP!  Who, you ask, are Fred and Wilma?  They are my kidneys, which are functioning at about 40-50% because of damage from diabetes (now gone) and high blood pressure (now under control).

But my Flintstones need to have less Potassium and Phosphorus run through them, because it's hard for them to filter out those substances once I swallow them.  And, let's face it, kidneys are our filters.

So I'm meeting tomorrow with a Nephrology Nutritionist to discuss the two items and what are the maximum daily amounts a person in my condition should be consuming daily.

I will pass this information on to you.  She said to me when I made the appointment, "Oh I have some wonderful recipes for you!"  To which I replied, "I don't want any recipes, please.  I eat plain food cooked either on my George Forman grill (protein) or in my microwave (vegetables)."

And if I can't prepare it in 10 minutes, I don't eat it.

So we'll see what she comes up with tomorrow and I'll let you know.  But the one thing this regimen has taught me, and I sincerely share it with you:

WE ARE WHAT WE EAT 

No comments: