Thursday, November 29, 2012

NEPHROLOGY CONSULT RESULTS

Here are the facts, these doctors are all telling me different things, and it's maddening.  Bit I'm trying to sort it out, dig deep for answers, and come up with my own conclusions.

My Principal Physician says that I am stable with Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease.  (Some say stage 4, see?)  I'm going with Stage 3 and this is what I have to do to avoid transplant or dialysis:

I have to seriously limit my intake of PHOSPHOROUS the evil ingredient. The kidneys do not excrete it properly.  Who knew?  Now I do.

For instance here are the bad foods for phosphorous:

BAD:

CHEESE
ICE CREAM (but not Sherbert) 
MILK
YOGURT (includes my beloved Activia)
DARK COLAS (diet or otherwise)
OATMEAL
PROCESSED MEATS
LIVER
SARDINES
PEANUT BUTTER
NUTS AND SEEDS
CHOCOLATE 
DRIED BEANS
BROCCOLI
MUSHROOMS
RAISINS
BISCUITS
BRAN PRODUCTS
CHEERIOS
WHOLE WHEAT CEREALS
BROWN RICE  

GOOD FOODS:

CLEAR COLORED SODAS
CREAM OF WHEAT, GRITS
FRESH CHICKEN
FISH
SHRIMP
EGGS
LOW FAT CHEESE (1oz)
LOW FAT CREAM CHEESE
GREEN BEANS, WAX AND STRING
UNSALTED POPCORN
SALT-FREE PRETZELS, RICE CAKES
WHITE BREAD, CORN AND RICE CEREALS
WHITE PASTA, COUSCOUS, GRAHAM CRACKERS
MELBA TOAST, AND SALT-FREE SALTINES

That doesn't mean I cannot eat the bad foods, they just must be consumed ONLY a couple of times a week and in limited quantities.  OK, that's easy.

And animal protein should be limited to 4 oz per meal.  And always accompany each meal with TUMS because TUMS are calcium and that helps remove the phosphorous from your body.  Also highly constipating, but necessary.

So that's where it is.  I can live with this and I can DIE without it (or have transplant or dialysis).  Transplant is something that must be put in motion as soon as possible for 2 reasons:

I have to be tested to see if I can RECEIVE a new kidney, AND a donor must be found.  Donors who are a match for me will be difficult because I was adopted and have no one who is the same DNA as I.

Many friends have already offered HOWEVER, just because we match doesn't mean they can donate to me.  There are a whole string of requirements, such as no hypertension, etc.

And here is the WILDEST thing I found out.  When you receive a new kidney they don't remove one of the old ones, they put the new one in the peritoneal area in front of your body above the waistline.

I can do this.  I just have to readjust my eating regimen to keep Fred and Wilma happy.  Where's Barney Rubble when you need him?    
     

No comments: