Monday, May 3, 2010

MARY ASTOR: HAPPY BIRTHDAY


The divine Mary Astor was born on this date.

She is probably my second favorite screen actress after Bette Davis. Imagine how happy I always am when "The Great Lie" is shown. Why? Because Mary stars in it with Bette Davis. It is said that Bette literally handed the film to Astor - even suggesting her hair cut in the film. Astor and Davis also rewrote the script for the film, making it the classic that it is today. Astor won the Academy Award for her performance in the movie.

Mary had a career that started in silents with John Barrymore and ended up in the horror classic "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte" - again acting with Bette Davis.

I was given the opportunity to visit Astor in her final days at the Motion Picture Country Home and I never got there to meet her. I will always regret not going. I love Mary Astor.

No comments: